The marker is located on the west side of the Carbondale Airport Road, one-half mile north of IL 13 in Jackson County, IL.
Lt. Col. Clark and his troop of 170 Virginians camped near here on July 2, 1778. It was their third campsite during a march from Fort Massac to Kaskaskia to capture that post from the British. Earlier that day, the troop was lost for a time on Phelp’s Prairie. The next day, they would cross the Big Muddy River at Marshall’s Ford. The Kaskaskia attack and a later one at Vincennes, Indiana, secured the Illinois Territory for the United States during the Revolutionary War.