The Riverside Park Band Shell

2610 West Riverside Park

Murphysboro, IL 

 

The plaque reads:

THE RIVERSIDE PARK BAND SHELL THE MURPHYSBORO PARK DISTRICT, ESTABLISHED 1907, PARTNERED WITH THE FEDERAL WORKS PROGRESS ADMINISTRATION TO BUILD THE RIVERSIDE BAND SHELL IN 1938-39. DESIGNED BY MURPHYSBORO ARCHITECT RUDOLPH Z. “POP” GILL, THE BAND SHELL REMAINS A MONUMENT TO THE ERA OF THE GREAT DEPRESSION AND THE GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS DESIGNED TO END IT. THE FIRST JULY 4TH CELEBRATION THERE IN 1939 DREW 45,000 PEOPLE WITH STANDING ROOM ONLY. STILL THE CENTERPIECE OF MURPHYSBORO’S JULY 4TH ACTIVITIES, IT CONTINUES TO HOST ANNUAL MUSIC FESTIVALS AND PROVIDES A STAGE FOR OTHER COMMUNITY EVENTS. THE BAND SHELL WAS ADDED TO THE NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES ON JUNE 6, 2012.

 

SPONSORS: THE MURPHYSBORO PARK DISTRICT, THE CITY OF MURPHYSBORO AND THE ILLINOIS STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY 2023